Golf

COVID-19: S.S.P. Chawrasia reacts to cancellation of games in Asia

 

Six-time winner of the Asian Tour, S.S.P. Chawrasia, has revealed how COVID-19 stopped him from participating in the European Tout after the restart of the game.

Few tournaments have resumed in the US and Europe, but it’s the otherwise in the Asian continent. This has left India players, who are also on the continent, to rue their miss.

Speaking with AFP, Chawrasia, who noted many Asian players have never been absent from the game this long, revealed that he contracted COVID-19, which quashed his plan of traveling o the UK for some European Tour events a month ago.

Chawrasia, who was speaking from his home in Kolkata, said it was when he was about to travel for the tournament that he was tested positive of the dreaded virus. Although he was asymptomatic, his mum, who also contacted the virus, had a bad condition but later recovered.

The dreaded virus, therefore, rendered the 42-year-old’s plan useless.

Speaking on the development, Asian Tour CEO and Commissioner Cho Minn said the US and some European countries had been approached to copy their protocol in order to host events.

The Tour had hope of staging 10 to 12 tournaments before the end of the year in the sort of bio-secure bubbles.

Since this has worked in those places, leading to the return of the US, European, and LPGA tours to resume, Minn said such a method, which includes testing and players are kept in a bio-secure bubble, could be adopted.

He, however, noted that the governing body is bound by Asian countries who are yet to lift the 14-day quarantine requirements for anyone coming into their countries.

The situation has forced many golfers in India to Australia to be idle. The last time they were involved in any action was when the Asian Tour was halted after the Malaysia Open on March 7. They have not been able to even practice.

This is because many golf courses in India, for instance, still remain locked for the fear pf spike of the virus. A golf course reported a positive case after reopening. This prompted its immediate closure until further notice.

As the world’s top golfers play for top prizes, their colleagues in Asia will not have the opportunity to swing a club or earned a cent for the next six months.

 

 

Written by: Oladipupo Mojeed

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

Andy Roddick says Cameron Norrie should feel ‘encouraged’ ahead of playing Novak Djokovic at the US Open

Former US Open champion Andy Roddick reckons Cameron Norrie should feel encouraged ahead of playing… Read More

August 29, 2025

Jannik Sinner goes past Alexei Popyrin, books R3 spot in New York

Top seed Jannik Sinner continued his rich form in the ongoing US Open, beating Australia’s… Read More

August 29, 2025

Lionel Messi says World Cup qualifier match against Venezuela is going to be very special

Lionel Messi said the World Cup qualifier match against Venezuela is going to be very… Read More

August 29, 2025

PKL 12: U Mumba vs Gujarat Giants, Match 4 – Preview

U Mumba will open their Pro Kabaddi League 2025 campaign against Gujarat Giants at the… Read More

August 29, 2025

PKL 12: Bengal Warriorz vs Haryana Steelers, Match 6 – Preview

Bengal Warriorz will kick off their PKL 12 campaign against reigning champions Haryana Steelers at… Read More

August 29, 2025

Ashwin is writing a different story – Aakash Chopra reacts to off-spinner’s IPL retirement

Former Indian Test opener Aakash Chopra has opened up on Ravichandran Ashwin’s decision to call… Read More

August 29, 2025